Monday 23 May 2011

volkstraat charm


I decided to give you another peek into Antwerp today. This time I'm taking you to Volkstraat street in the district of 't Zuid (the South). It's a trendy district that started blooming again in the mid 1980s and I always get the feeling that everyone there is either an artist or going to/coming from an art gallery. You get the picture.


Volkstraat is full of shops, cafés, and beautiful buildings. It's simply wonderful to walk there and breathe in the atmosphere. I took these photos yesterday when we went to Caffé Internazionale, the first café I went to with the Icelandic girls who live here (I've told you about it before). If you look at the photo of Volkstraat above, the café is to the left where you see the awnings. Apart from a sore throat my latte was simply wonderful; we sat outside in the sun, feeling a light breeze blowing, which was refreshing. May I add that when we were sitting there a very active volcano, Grímsvötn, was erupting back home in Iceland. Let's hope it won't cause another air travel chaos as Eyjafjallajökull did last year.

I hope you had a nice weekend and that you're ready to tackle the week.


photo credit: Lisa Hjalt

9 comments:

  1. You said my 2 favorite words... cafe & shops... I'm there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my favourite trip with you through Antwerp. yes, so very charming! sorry you had a bit of a sore throat, but it sounds like the loveliness of the day made up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks like such a lovely part of Antwerp! Like I said - I really hope to see it one day, I have a great love for European cities :)

    Monday hug to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! It seems I am bound to visit Antwerp ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. The street and the cafe both look great!! Definitely should remember this for when going to Antwerp. Love the drawings on the art wall:) Hope you will have a relaxing, wonderful, not busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I love these these little photographic journey type posts of where you live and places you explore..Always so colourful and interesting. Have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful street, the buildings lined up with shops, cafés and bakeries, it all looks so carefree and lovely. I'm instantly charmed by the places you photograph, Lisa. Hope you have a wonderful week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. de Volksstraat rocks! we haven't tried caffe internazionale yet (and the pastrami sandwiches) but it is very high on our list. lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this lovely stroll through Antwerp! You live in a beautiful city Lisa!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.