Wednesday 21 September 2011

style or lack of it


This post has a different twist. I don't judge how people dress, at least not in a mean way, and believe me, I've made a few mistakes in my lifetime (I won't even go there). I also believe that style matures and refines with age (thank God!). Anyway, there I was earlier this morning in the city centre enjoying my latte at a café. I was sitting outside in lovely weather, without a book or a magazine, not even sunglasses. Well, the magazine shop was close by but I decided to simply enjoy looking at what the street had to offer: style or lack of it.

So, here are my morning's observations and I hope I don't insult anyone; this is all harmless and some of it is even utterly trivial, I know:

  1. Unless you are on your way with your kids to a Sound of Music audition, don't wear the exact same blue coat as both your girls around the age of 5 and 7. Looking like the Von Trapp family is NOT stylish! By the way, what shop even sells the exact same coat in all these sizes and colours?!!
  2. Don't wear high heels if you cannot work them. There is nothing stylish about watching a good-looking woman trying to hold balance with every step. It's simply not cool. Practice before hitting the streets or call Victoria Beckham to get advice!
  3. Ugg boots. I don't even know where to begin. Let's just keep it simple: No, no, no ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  4. Mustard coloured ankle boots. Yes, yes, yes ... YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! Oh my, that woman was so chic, she was like Erin Wasson who?!!
  5. If you're overweight STAY AWAY from leggings. Burn the ones you have like NOW! (You'll thank me later.)
  6. Self-confidence does not come with the Chanel bag (or bags from any other label). You can wear all the labels you want but if your self-confidence isn't there you are simply throwing your money away. I hate to break it to you but the beauty of that bag won't outshine your lack of self-worth.
  7. Mixing colours can be fun but when you wear like 10 that's just too much!
  8. Improve your posture and begin with straightening your back! (Yoga would be a good first step.) 
  9. Wearing the same colour and breaking it up with a black belt. Yes, that definitely works!
  10. Embracing old age and wearing your wrinkles with dignity. Yes, that definitely works, it shows self-confidence, and it's very Joan Burstein-ish. Wish I could show you a photo of that elder woman. She was so stylish and believe me, she worked those heels.
Look at that! This is what one medium latte manages to accomplish.

And yes, you're right, I did a little bit of shopping today. This girl is now ready for autumn/winter, makeup and all. wink I hope you are enjoying one fine Wednesday!

photo credit:
Joan Burstein, right: The Sartorialist
Erin Wasson, left: Santiago Esteban for Elle Spain

24 comments:

  1. Such a great post! I totally agree with you. I'll keep this comment short, because believe you me, you wouldn't want to start me on those leggins and UGGs....

    P.S. You do realise you now have to tell more about your shopping, don't you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right!!! I'm still laughing :-))

    Wish you a wonderful evening
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't wear high heels if you cannot work them.
    Truth.

    The absolutely worst thing I see is bambi on ice, or going down the street as it has it, desperately trying to stay on her feet! Just. not. cool.

    Also - sitting on a café looking at people is the best entertainment. For a while at least :)

    Hugs,
    Signe

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT post, Lisa! Self-confidence: this is part of the definition of style. Leggings, UGGs, more than three colours in an outfit (that's the limit for me)-NO NO. And yes, it's beautiful and so refreshing to see women wearing their wrinkles with dignity. :)
    Have a lovely evening, Lisa! Hope you're enjoying the pie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha I absolutely LOVE this post Lisa! You are spot on with every point! And there's nothing better than people watching, now is there? :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just wrote a lot of things I also thought about people but I never dare to put together. excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you on all of these! Women wearing heels they cannot walk in is something that always baffles me. Why put yourself through that torture?? Also, yes to posture, posture, posture....and that's something I always have to remind myself of.

    Do you do yoga? I've been meaning to get into it...but it intimidates me. I'm not flexible at all!

    p.s. e-mail coming your way soon about the non profit and other life things :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh Lisa - you are lovely - I can imagine having Latte with you isn't at all boring ;o)
    Enjoy your thursday ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joan Burstein is one of my style heros - yes i am a fan of the wrinkle - might as well be they come to us all and are the sign that we laughed and loved our life! And you know what confidence and the ability to walk in our shoes i think thats all we ever need - great post xx

    http://fashionandfrank.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder how you can tell people to practice wearing heels if they're not good at it, but then you say don't wear them.
    I'm not offended or anything, but I do think it's a sad message to send people that unless they're good at something, just stay home and don't bother doing it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, especially about the matching coats for all ages (noooooo) and knowing how to walk in heels (very important!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Cass: I think you're taking this a bit too seriously; where's your sense of humour? And maybe read no 2 again: The 'don't wear heels' part came before the 'practicing' part.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally in agreeance with you! The heels, the colours, the leggings, the posture and definitely the wrinkles! Great read!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hilarious! And sooo true... amazing how some ladies use fashion in a bizarre, disorientated way that makes the look totally the opposite than they expected!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG!!! I love this post!

    I've said it before, I'm not big on fashion, but this is awesome and I so agree with you. And yes, I can work it in heels! RAWR!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So so funny! And very true. I love people watching too.. although a lot of your points could apply to the girls in my office - not good!

    www.noaslibellule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. hahaaa, fabulous Lisa! It worth sharing these 10 "Commandments" about basic style, more than one should read them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha Lisa I love your honesty. Really can relate to seeing someone and just thinking: Did you look in the mirror before you left the house?

    But even the ugliest outfit can be weighed up with some serious self-confidence. I have friends who have clothing styles that is... well NOT my style. But it is ok, because it suits them and they look great because they are amazing people with great confidence and personality. (For ex one friend cut her hair super short and bleached it, and is always wearing neon. A total opposite to me with my black, beige and white with leather details and a few pops of colour every now and then... But she looks amazing. And she wears the clothes not the other way around)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hehe..I needed a giggle this afternoon. Hillarious style observations, Lisa. I keep telling the hubby
    he has to tell me when I've picked up a pink baubles hair elastic of Lilys instead of a black one :) Seriously, I dont even notice but I realise the crime. Happy weekend to you x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, oh my goodness, you are HILARIOUS!

    I actually just read this out to my Mother who is sorting magazines while I visit my favorite blogs, and we were laughing away... too funny. I agree 100% with everything. My pet peeve is women wearing yoga wear all day, everyday, no matter size or age, or the fact that they've never EVER done yoga.

    ... okay, enough of that, but thank you—this made us both smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulously entertaining post Lisa!!...I think should have your latte without a book or magazine more often and see what your inspiration you can find to write about in your usual witty way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're so right Lisa! #2 is a particularly horrible thing to watch. I feel so embarrassed for those women who spend so much money on gorgeous designer shoes only to hobble around like a just-born lamb. Oh the shame!

    Confidence makes up for everything. The reality is that we don't all look like supermodels, we're not all blessed with make-up artists and hairdressers on the go, but self confidence outshines all of those things. I too agree about ageing gracefully. I've seen so many chic older ladies here in Paris and hope to learn from them.

    I think it's creepy when parents dress like their children. Plain creepy.

    Great post - keep them coming!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  23. So so true.
    And two of my personal pet peeves to ad
    1) white tights/leggings. A good idea all wrapped up their lovely little packet at the store, always unflattering in the real world.
    2) Wearing boots that wont zip the whole way up. I know it's only an inch, but thats the moment in the store, when you evaluate the purchase decision and come up with a resounding NO.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.