Friday 16 November 2012

one fine moment & books


Because I have a busy day tomorrow and won't be blogging, I decided to skip today's charming spaces post and share with you a photo of what I can only call one fine moment. I took it earlier this week when I had spread some of my cookbooks all over the table while enjoying a late lunch. You know how much I enjoy books; I love the moments when I can just be in my own world with my books and notebooks. Add some rice and curry in a bowl and I'm feeling more than fine.

The book in the foreground is Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky. I borrowed it the last time I went to the library and I find it quite interesting. It's not a cookbook, just a book about salt. I use salt sparingly but I believe I have been taking it for granted.

Yesterday I started reading Gielgud's Letters, which contains letters written by English actor John Gielgud (1904-2000), who was also a director and a producer. He wrote letters almost every day of his adult life, no matter if he was at home or on location. It's interesting to read this book now because when reading the diaries of Cecil Beaton (see this post), which I really enjoyed, he sometimes mentioned Gielgud. I feel like Cecil has given me a preview of Gielgud's character, and I get the feeling that I'll be "meeting" the same people I met in Cecil's diary entries. Another book on my table is Of Human Bondage by one of my favourite authors, W. Somerset Maugham. He also appears in Cecil's diaries where ... ahem ... some friend of Cecil describes him as a bastard. Ouch!

What are you guys reading?

I'll be back on Monday with a giveaway, open to all followers of LatteLisa. Have a wonderful weekend!

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt

14 comments:

  1. oh, I love biographies, and collections of letters even more. more books for my list... thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive me, but before anything else I noticed the food... It looks so delicious and comforting! Thank you for the books recommendations - all added to the wish list as always. I am re-reading "Anna Karenina" at the moment - it took me time to get the Russian version of it (Tolstoy just doesn't sound right in English...) and then I am planning to get back to the Perfume and re-read that one, too.

    Have a beautiful day and lovely weekend!

    P.S. Must admit, it took me time to watch the Downton Abbey - I was very "delayed" as I don't watch tv much these days. It's wonderful and I am (almost) addicted to the story, watching how they lived and all the details of the clothes and interior. Another thing is that the house itself reminds me of a convertion we once lived in. The place was also the abbey, but a smaller one - had a beautiful original hall way, massive fire place just like they have in the movie, all the wood panelling, little benches (when you watch the movie you'll see). And every room was converted into a flat / apartment... With some of the original features remaining untouched. I miss it so so so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to read so much more than I do now - although an occasional magazine gets a look in. But biographies, books on history and philosophy used to be my favourite. Enjoy your weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So have a wonderful weekend!
    (without blogging!)

    :-)

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm one of those who read more books at once (does it sound familiar?:) ), so I'm currently reading James Joyce's "Dubliners", "The Elephant to Hollywood", Michael Caine's autobiography and "Fashioning the City: Paris, Fashion and the Media".
    Have a wonderful weekend, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!

    I love sprending cook books abound me and read! -usally on the sofa though ;)

    W. Somerset Maugham is on my to read list (I actually made one on my phone...)
    Now reading Walden, it feels inappropriate to read this book with the help of modern technology but it is easier and
    it is certainly as good as I knew it would be...

    lots of love to you from Norway

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Lisa, I am currently reading Coco Chanel and The Paris Wife, but sometimes I felt it is not enough, so I bought an album with Rembrandt's painting and read about his painting style. Have a lovely weekend :*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had the time to read. I miss being unemployed sometimes haha. Anyway, great blog, would you like to follow each other?

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have been wanting to read that book salt. i am so glad you mentioned it because it has slipped my mind. i must put it on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea regarding reading - this weekend I will get back to continue a book I've started a few weeks ago: The influence of the orient to European art. It's pretty inspiring. Have a successful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the reminder of how amazing it is to read. I love reading but struggle to find the time in my day and it's something I need to make more time for. Have a top weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my guilty pleasures! Sounds so perfect. I hope you had a wonderful weekend xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. books + rice & curry... sign me upppp! such a lovely way to spend a day :) xx,
    The Golden Girls

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.