Thursday 6 June 2013

drawing with light 21

Travelling - it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.
Ibn Battutah (1304-1377)

Usually there is no text accompanying the photographs in my DRAWING WITH LIGHT posts but I cannot share the work of acclaimed photojournalist Steve McCurry without saying something.

I recently read Travels with a Tangerine: A Journey in the Footnotes of Ibn Battutah by Tim Mackintosh-Smith. I mentioned it in one of my travel inspiration posts and said that I would maybe talk about it on the blog, but I have decided not too. It's a book that I enjoyed reading but it's not exactly an easy read travel book. Mackintosh-Smith retraces the steps of Ibn Battutah from Morocco to Constantinople and if you are interested in the culture of this part of the world then I highly recommend it.

The Ibn Battutah quote above is not from the book; it's probably from Ibn Battutah's Travels. It's one of many that I keep in my notebook and it just seemed fitting to use it with McCurry's photograph. If you view his profile or follow his blog you will be rewarded with his amazing storytelling abilities through his captivating images. If you are not familiar with McCurry you have probably already seen many of his works without knowing so. I think almost everyone recognises his photo of the Afghan girl on the cover of National Geographic back in 1985.

The photo above is one of few from his 'Riding the Indian Railways' post. When I look at it I wonder if perhaps it would have been enough to write: no words needed.

photo credit:
Steve McCurry

3 comments:

  1. The photo speaks volumes, but I'll fully enjoyed the interesting details you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also glad you have decided to write the details, Lisa. I am particular attracted to this world, Lisa, and I am so happy you recommended us the book of Tim Mackintosh-Smith. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photo, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.