Tuesday 4 June 2013

Margaret Howell Spring 2013

After my yesterday's summery post it almost feels strange to tone it down with these black and white photographs that are part of the Margaret Howell Spring 2013 ad campaign. But I like the contrast and I like the campaign, especially the craftsmanship element of it, shot in Ireland by photographer Koto Bolofo. It was Margaret Howell herself who styled her models Harriet Taylor and Elias Cafmeyer.

Yesterday I mentioned natural style and Howell's garments certainly fit into that category, her design is all about quality and comfort, or with her own words: "It is crucial how a piece of clothing feels when worn. I've always wanted clothes to be the way I drew them - relaxed and lived in, a natural look" (see Story on the website).


Our linens are woven in Ireland with a quality that comes from the fineness of the fibre and the number of threads used. It can take 40 hours to set up a loom – demanding enormous care and expertise – but only that attention to detail can make a fabric that ages so beautifully and wears so well.
Margaret Howell, News: Iris Linen


I'm inspired by the authenticity I can find in nature, people and places, and I think it is the same quality I look for in the materials I choose. For example, the feel of hand-woven Harris tweed and the irregular slub of Irish linen. I feel passionate about landscape, and its connection with such fabrics and the skilled people who weave them.
I enjoy pulling these threads of British tradition, quality and skill together in clothes that are meant to be worn in the real world, where good design is about living with thoughtful style.
Margaret Howell, Story

I just got back home after spending a wonderful sunny day in the city with a friend. We tried a café that opened recently and a casual and fresh sandwich restaurant that had an interesting mix of chairs that I liked. I think I may have to go back with the camera and share these places on the blog.

I hope you have been enjoying a wonderful day!

photo credit:
Koto Bolofo for Margaret Howell Spring 2013 ad campaign | Harriet Taylor + Elias Cafmeyer styled by Margaret Howell

1 comment:

  1. Koto Bolofo is becoming one of my favourite photographers for the way he captures the authenticity of a brand. I love the brand's philosophy and the campaign of course.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.